When considering how to use a phone abroad, know that there are several options. Here you will find some of our suggestions on how to best use your phone while traveling, but always consult your local cell carrier regarding usage and compatibility.
Before proceeding with option 1 & 2 you must confirm that your phone is unlocked to use another sim card (ask your provider).
Connecting While Abroad
- Rent a SIM card | 019 Mobile
019 Mobile is an Israel based company that can provide SIM cards and rental service packages while travelling in Israel, Europe, and around the world.
- Israel Only Plans: 019 has been given our dates of travel. Simply select your departure date from the drop down menu and order the appropriate plan for your needs. Use this link to order: https://019mobile.com/groups/bbyo-israelIf you are connecting to Israel, then you should order your plan from the below link. Select a SIM plan based on the first leg of your experience (e.g. Italy Discovery #1 + Israel Journey #4 should order from the Italy Discovery #1 link found in the below bullet point).
- Europe Only & Europe + Israel Connection Plans: Whether ordering a SIM card for Europe only, or if continuing to Israel, use this link: https://019mobile.com/groups/bbyo-europe-israel. If you are continuing to Israel, select your first destination and then choose one of the Israel Connection Plans (described below).You will notice that the plan is only available for 14 days. To cover a longer experience, you will be able to select a “renewal” option. 1 renewal will extend your plan by another 14-day period.NOTE: Do not select the “virtual number” option. This only works in Israel.
- Outside Europe or Israel: Use this link to order SIM plans for Trek Costa Rica, Ambassadors to Argentina, Stand UP South Africa, or Stand UP Thailand https://019mobile.com/groups/bbyo.You will notice that the plan is only available for 14 days. To cover a longer experience, you will be able to select a “renewal” option. 1 renewal will extend your plan by another 14-day period.NOTE: Do not select the “virtual number” option. This only works in Israel.
- March of the Living: Click here for SIM plans while traveling on March of the Living.
Description of Plans:
- Israel Plan #1 – $30: 30 Days Unlimited calls and SMS within Israel, 100 minutes to cellphones and landlines to the USA and Canada and 20 GB Data
- Israel Plan #2 – $40: 30 Days Unlimited calls and SMS within Israel, Unlimited calls to cellphones and landlines in the US and Canada. Unlimited calls to landlines in 40 countries and 20GB Data
- Europe Only Plan – $55: 14 Days, 4GB in Bulgaria, Poland, Czech, Hungary, Scotland, England, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, or Slovenia
- Israel Connection Plan #1 – $70: Europe Only Plan + Israel Plan #1
- Israel Connection Plan #2 – $80: Europe Only Plan + Israel Plan #2
- Outside Israel or Europe – $55: 14 Days, 4GB Data in Costa Rica, South Africa, Thailand or 2GB Data in Argentina
Activating Your SIM Card
Once you select your plan, an invoice will be sent to you with instructions to activate your card. Follow that link in order to complete the setup. To do this, you will need the ID number of your SIM device. This can be found under the bar code on your SIM card which was sent in your welcome packet. The number begins: 899721912000… and then is a unique ID for each device.
Note: Renting a SIM is an option that is only available if your device is unlocked. Contact your provider to verify whether this is an option for you. If your phone is locked, 019 Mobile does offer smartphone rental for $3/day.
- WhatsApp</ br>
Knowroaming provides Global SIM cards and their plans include free usage of WhatsApp while abroad. WhatsApp can be downloaded in the App Store or on Google Play. Search “Google” for a Knowroaming discount code; it is not always available but do not forget to check.
- Contact Your Local Provider</ br>
Your domestic carrier has an international usage plan, though it can be costly and limited. Contact them with your dates of travel in order to learn what rates they may be able to provide.